Monday 24 August 2015

Reading Festival 2015 Preview


I'm going to Reading festival for the first time in two days time. Two days time. I'm sorry, two days time? Holy shit.

So after the past few years of skirting round the small time festival, counting my pennies while seeing lesser known artists ply their trade, I decided to fork out on the big ticket which will mean I go to university penniless. And, despite the underwhelming headliners, seeing the sheer depth of the smaller stages I know this will be worth it.

The biggest act I'm looking forward to live is Kendrick Lamar. Having released a radical album earlier this year, I can imagine his live set to be complex with variations on the recorded versions of his work. Being one of a massive crowd by main stage watching a talented artist, after the equally talented Jamie T, on the last night could be the most memorable experience of the weekend.

The NME Stage is consistent with the line-up more tempting overall to me than the main stage. The Districts early on the Friday have the rumbustious nature to set the tone for the weekend. Saturday, with Nothing But Thieves, Circa Waves, Wolf Alice, Everything Everything, Catfish & the Bottlemen, and Twin Atlantic looks to be a monumental night for any alternative rock fan. All those are in the category which isn't too heavy but still lively in the crowd, perfect for performances at festivals. I have already seen Wolf Alice and NBT at 2000Trees Festival and both were highlights. Sunday offers the different prospect of new R'n'B prospect Kwabs and renowned DJ Deadmau5, both of whom will offer a variation from the standard guitar rock of the festival.

Another stage appealing to my indie roots is the Festival Republic stage, which features some of my favourite artists who have featured in my monthly playlists. Rolling them off you've got Coasts, Eliza & the Bear, Jack Garratt, Jake Isaac, Little May, Lucy Rose, Prides, Saint Raymond, Sundara Karma, Sunset Sons, and Walking On Cars. Out of those, the main shoutout goes to Jake Isaac, a top guy who I met at 2000Trees this year and managed to actually get people dancing at the smallest, most chill festival stage of all time. Then, he unplugged his electro-acoustic, popped down to the middle grass, hushed everything and sang without a mic. The festival vibes were in fact real. Back on stage and wired up, he did a haunting cover of I Can't Make You Love Me, not too dissimilar to Bon Iver's.

On a very different not, I will jump at the opportunity to see the iconic character, Lethal Bizzle, perform on the OneExtra stage. His music is perfectly adequate if not overly original or inspiring, but the man himself is a legend.

Music aside, I'm just looking forward to be part of one of the biggest festivals in the UK and to top off my summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment